Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Unseen Terror: Day 4

Before I write this, I'd just like to talk about the most aggravating part of watching this film: Time Warner Cable's internet. Good mother of fucking goatchrist does their internet STINK. Getting kicked off twice because it craps out (and both times were during the climax too) is just inexcusable. Oh well, I rant enough regularly about how much I hate them, so let's move on.




I like the 80s for the most part, but not all of their films. I love stuff like Stand by Me and The Breakfast Club, and most of my favorite action films come from the same decade as well. Shockingly though, I had never seen "The Lost Boys," a widely loved horror film from 1987 starring both of the Coreys and Kiefer Sutherland. I figured this would be an easy addition to the list.

Even though most of you know the plot already, I still gotta describe it for the few who haven't seen it. It follows two siblings named Michael and Sam, who along with their mother, have just moved to the fictional town of Santa Carla, California. Michael falls in with a local gang, mostly due to having a "love at first sight" crush on Star, one of the females in the group. His increasingly shady and eratic behavior causes Sam to become suspicious. With the investigation and advise of so-called "vampire experts" The Frog Brothers, Sam becomes determined to save his brother and prevent him from becoming a true bloodsucking fiend.

I've heard many friends of mine say they love the film, others...not so much. Me? I'm kind of on the fence. There were certainly parts where it excels as an awesome vampire film (the last 30 minutes) and others where it made me scoff at it's 80s silliness (the first 20 minutes film, which are just painful). The acting's a bit hit or miss, but then again, most of the characters are kind of paper thin. The only vampire who I thought was even remotely well written was Kiefer Sutherland, who despite looking like a late 80s WCW reject, was pretty awesome as David, the head vampire. I gotta say though, I dug the hell out of the Frog Brothers, for as little as we saw of them. They remind of some of the weirdos and geeks I'd hang out with, save for maybe their choice in comic books.

I didn't love the film, but I didn't hate it at all. Every time I though it would lose me, it pulled me back in. But then it'd lose me again. And pull me back in. And although I think the end twist was kind of clever, the very last scene was a bit on the "oh come ON" side of things. An okay film, but nothing more. I don't see how or why they made TWO sequels to this.

Come back tomorrow as I go underground with THE BURROWERS.

No comments: