Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Recent Downloadzzzz and reviews

Because I realized just how big of a thief I really am.

Hour of the Wolf/Lewd Acts-Split EP. Really very solid stuff. HOTW are already one of the most underrated bands in punk/hardcore, and these three tracks further prove why they should be bigger. Fast, catchy, good lyrics, and pretty damn fun. Lewd Acts has been a band I've been meaning to check out for some, but these four tracks from them REALLY make me wish I had done it sooner. No bullshit here, pissed off punk with a slight hardcore influence. Last track is probably my favorite off of the whole split. My love for this drove me to download...

Lewd Acts-Dark Days. Fast, cool. angry. Just liked I expected. Their interview on hardtimes.ca only helped build my interest in them and this cements them as a crucial band in my book.

Misery Index-Traitors. One of the few death/grind bands I can still stand (and listen to regularly) and this was one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Kurt Ballou not only plays guitar for one of my favorite acts, Converge, but has produced many of my favorite records of the past few years (Modern Life is War, Hope Conspiracy, Disfear, and Blacklisted to name a few) and he doesn't disappoint here. They haven't sounded this alive in a long time, and the grind and crust influences are stronger than ever here. The re-recorded version of "Ruling Class Cancelled" with guest vocals from Tomas Lindberg is badass as well.

Negative FX/Last Rights-Discography. All the shit I've heard about Jack Kelly still didn't stop me from checking this out. I'll admit, Ceremony's cover of "Feel Like a Man" played a part in me checking it out as well. You can feel the hostility and anger of the 80s here and even the last track, a live one from their gig at Mission of Burma's last show, gave me an understanding of what they were. Dudes might have had an unintentional hand in giving birth to hardline (which I hate) but this music is damn impressive.

1 comment:

Joey Fletcher said...

ah stealin my recent downloads idea haha