Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fakes Like You (Make Me Sick)

Yesterday was probably one of the worst days I've had, in terms of health at least. There wasn't a single time within an hour where I didn't have to use the bathroom. While I think its entirely possible that I caught a bug from eating at Taco Bell (something that I don't do very often), its more likely that some drunken fratboy passed something on to me at the Flogging Molly concert on Friday.



And speaking of that, there is no worse feeling in the world as a music fan than when one of your favorite bands' fanbase suddenly becomes infected with these guys.



The scum of all music fans, the frats. They don't really know much about the band, minus that one AWESOME DRINKING SONG THEY GOT, and don't really believe in respect for those around them, but they're going to the show anyway. They worship Sublime and think Jack Johnson is a poet. They just want an excuse to drink and act rowdy. They'll mosh to anything with distortion and even if it calls for it, the radio.

These guys absolutely ruined the show for me, and for quite a few in attendance as well. It was my fourth time seeing Flogging Molly, and my second time seeing the Loved Ones (who were great, even with the obnoxious trash who thought they were "too emo"). You could NOT not be sucked into the pit at this show. Heck even my mother, who will be 60 in July 2010, was being pushed and crushed by their drunken stupidity. This also marked the first time I've ever purposely uppercutted someone in the balls. I think my biggest gripe with the whole experience though was comparing this to another show: I had to attend As I Lay Dying a few months ago (due to many friends wanting to go, I offered to be the nice guy and drive them). Security was about as strict as a giant outdoor concert that night, yet at this show, they could clearly see people being physically hurt and just ignored it. There were men beating their girlfriends outside and nothing was being done about it. It was disgusting, and those main contributing factors (plus an absurd price on drinks, alcoholic or not) that have influenced me to make a decision to never go there again. Sorry to folks expecting to see me at Rise Against/Alkaline Trio/Thrice/Gaslight Anthem, but I'd rather drive 6 hours to MD and see those bands than to suffer through corporate ignorance and drunken idiocy again.


But now that thats over, this week's show will hopefully make up for it.

Trap Them, Fight Amp, Advent, and Columns are playing in Raleigh on Thursday. Quite a fan of every band, though I've yet to see any of them live. Torch Runner is also playing, but alas I haven't listened to them yet. I've been a major Trap Them binge recently, and can't wait to see them. Fight Amp is perfect for anybody who likes Kylesa, Torche, and Tragedy.

Until then, take care. And stomp a fratboy.

No comments: