Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Extra extra read all about it!

Oh how I wish I could have thought of a more clever pun than that one. Alas, it'll have to do.

I guess this is an update of sorts on my last entry.

-Apparently, you can't just set up a time to take the postal exam. Rather, you are e-mailed as to when there is an opening for a test. Why I wasn't informed of this before is baffling. Oh well. I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed on this one. I've got confidence that I could do something with this. And if not, at least I'll get a refund for purchasing that damn book.

-No All That Remains, No Carcass, No Afroman, but I DID go to Weedeater/Earthride/Hope and Suicide. Show was great, though there was a somewhat somber mood throughout the night due to Gollum's drummer having passed away two days beforehand (they were originally scheduled to open the show). When I first moved to this town in September 2005, Gollum was the first local band I watched. They played for free at Riverfest 05 and I managed to talk to the guys, specifically their guitarist Frank. They were always down to earth and very thankful for every bit of support they got. I can't imagine what they're going through right now, but I wish they all the best. But as for the show, Weedeater played for quite a while, but were just awesome. Not only are they this town's heaviest band, but they're probably one of the heaviest bands you'll ever see live. Hope and Suicide were a lot better than the last time I saw them, kinda sound like if Botch and Coalesce grew up worshiping stoner metal. Earthride were rad. Just the right amount of dirge, groove, and heaviness that one could ask for. And plus they were from MD! I couldn't ask for more. :D


-Burn After Reading was very entertaining. I wouldn't name it as one of my favorite Coen Bros. films, but it was still quite the enjoyable black comedy. Frances McDormand was great, and I think I might try to be Brad Pitt's character for Halloween. Hehehe

-The extras work wasn't particularly thrilling, nor is it something that I'd do for a living, but I can't complain too much about being paid to basically do one simple routine throughout the day. I worked on a "Slamball" segment for One Tree Hill. All we had to do was play a part in the audience, reacting when needed with cheers, applause, concern, etc. The catering food was pretty dang good (had some great pasta). I spotted a few people that I knew down there (some that were a pleasant surprise to see, another one not so much) and got to spend most of my time talking to a very nice (and very attractive) actress who decided to do extra work that day (though she originally thought it was work on a different set). Go check out Maureen Mountcastle on imdb and thats her. She even gave me the names of several people who do agent work and headshots photography in case I come to like this. I will say though, that she is the first person I've met who not only disliked the Dark Knight, but complained about how its big budget could have been used to feed nations throughout the world instead....................okay......because as we all know a) Hollywood runs the world and our government shouldn't be the ones fixing this problem and b) we all want our movies to look like they were made by The Asylum. But anyways, I'll be mailed a check for my work and am actually going back for more work next Monday. w00t.


I think thats it for now. I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach for Flogging Molly/The Loved Ones/Beat Union on Friday, then possibly hitting up the Hazmat for the first time for a show on Saturday. The only things I downloaded recently were Black Ships-Omens and Negative FX/Last Rights-split, but I haven't really gotten around to listening to either. I'm sure I'll post some more schtuff within the next few days.

No comments: