Thursday, December 4, 2008

Do Yourself a Favor Now and Leave Me in the Dust...

Not really much of a blog, but more of a little kudos/shout out to a few specific bands that remind me that while these states around me may not be perfect, its music scene gives me some sense of hope.


At Half-Mast: I first met these guys before I even gave their band any listen and judging from their similar taste in music, I knew I'd like their band. Watched em for the first time @ This is Hell/Soldiers/Reign Supreme and came out damn near blown away. I know the term "passionate hardcore" is thrown around a lot, but they seem like the real deal to me. It's a shame that their lineup problems have been keeping them down and under the radar lately, since their newest album "Fathers and Sons" is one of the best undiscovered gems of 2008. They WILL be heading out on tour very soon though, with a new(ish) lineup. For fans of: Shai Hulud, Modern Life is War, Ruiner, Killing the Dream. http://www.myspace.com/athalfmasthc


Indifference: I was lucky to catch this band at their 2nd show ever, where they played with the previously mentioned At Half-Mast, Legacies (another good band who seem plagued by lineup problems), and Disnihil. I had heard plenty of hype from kids in Wilmington about just how great they were, despite only having one show under their belts. I was definitely impressed after catching em that day. A few weeks ago I ran into Ian, their bass player, at the 2nd outing of Kids Like Us/The Mongoloids. The show itself was kind of more of the same, but my real highlight came from buying their just-released first full-length "Impression, Depression." It's a rare situation when within just a few months we can see a good band transform into a GREAT band, but this is one of those rare occurances. I wouldn't classify this as "emotional" hardcore seeing as how I know someone from the band would kick me in the nuts for it. :P It IS, however, a great piece of smart hardcore that will be sure to please fans of Integrity, One King Down, and Unbroken. http://www.myspace.com/indifferencehc


Torch Runner-My first words after witnessing this band live were "Holy shit. Wow." Not many bands can make me do that. Greensboro seems to be a hotbed for great music. We've already gotten Giant (who still owe us all a new album damn it!) and now Torch Runner comes along to, well, carry the torch. This is the most furious band from NC I think I may have ever witnessed, and one of the few that acually managed to steal the show from bigger names they've shared a bill with (Trash Talk, Trap Them and Advent come to mind). They're apparently touring with Giant and Advent sometime next year, so should this bill come near you, do NOT miss it. I would say pick up an album of theirs, but the band have yet to release any material yet other than songs to their myspace. Highly recommended if you like His Hero is Gone, Cursed, or any sort of dark metallic hardcore group.


Conquer Me-Wilmington's hardcore scene is coming along slowly, but the fact that it even chooses to exist is what matters most. They're another band from the Carolinas whose 2nd show I managed to catch (playing alongside of A Shot Below the Belt, who I'll take about in a bit and Folsom, whose name will never ever be mentioned again in my blog as long as I live). Though their band time is even younger than any of the bands mentioned above, they're already offering a great taste of things to come. Check em out if you're into modern bands like Blacklisted, Reign Supreme, or Trash Talk. Fast, furious, heavy, mosh, ya know the deal. http://www.myspace.com/conquermehc


A Shot Below the Belt-It's so odd to see how many small lineup changes this band has gone through, yet its helped make them stronger than ever. I'll advise anyone who may have ever listened to or seen this band in the past to watch them in their current incarnation. Its a whole new experience. Like watching Black Flag with Morris vs Black Flag with Rollins: both really good, but the latter just seems tighter and more fitting (not that I'm comparing ASBTB to Black Flag musically.) Again, another band where I met the dudes who play in it before I heard the band itself. They've been playing faster, with better guitar melodies thrown in here and there with the new tracks. Keep an eye out for em in the future. They're planning to tour again next year so check em out. http://www.myspace.com/ashotbelowthebeltnc


Obstruction-Charlotte seems to have an obsession with fast hardcore and punk, and when you hear these guys, it shows. Ironically, their vocalist Josh sang in an old metalcore band called Oblivions Rise, but I never had the chance to see them live. He sounds quite comfortable here, and the rest of the band does some damn good/fun D.R.I.-style thrash. It's a serious band, but not too serious it seems. I wish I could write more awesome things about em, but I think in keeping with their quick songs, I'll just end it here: for fans of D.R.I., Municipal Waste, Spazz. http://www.myspace.com/obstructionthrash

1 comment:

Joey Fletcher said...

Aw, thank you Ryan! Haha.