Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012: It Was the Best of Tunes, It Was the Worst of Tunes (Part 1)


To say that 2012 has been interesting would be like stating that Black Sabbath were an amazing musical act. I got two new jobs (down to just one as of this writing, mostly due to distance), went back to school, and even traveled to a festival that was previously only thought of as a dream and nothing more.  We'll save that hoopla for another entry though, since this is about what obviously matters most: MUSIC! As with last year, I've assembled a list of my own favorite releases that I happened to hear and found quite pleasant on my ears. This was a rather difficult process, even more so than assembling my favorites of 2011. Despite its difficulty, it does make me optimistic for the next year though, as there isn't the slightest thing wrong with finding more good music.

Even dillydallying though, let's get to it. I'm making this a two part post due to links being attached for key tracks too.

But first!





HONORABLE MENTIONS



Magic Circle-Single 7"

An amazing glimpse of things to come from a supergroup comprised of members from The Rival Mob, Mind Eraser, and Doomriders. It has a tad bit in common with the latter, but this two song 7" shares more similarities with Black Sabbath and the melodic doom bands of the 80s (Candlemass, Trouble) than anything else.





Alcest-Les Voyages De L'Âme

I'm shocked that I never gave this band a listen until now. Roughly translated to "The Soul's Journey," this feels like a fairly natural meeting of haunting, melodic alternative post-rock and screeching black metal. There are moments on this that can genuinely give me chills depending on how my week has been going. Too bad I don't speak a lick of French, I would love to read about what I'm hearing. Strongly recommended for fans of Opeth, Agalloch, and Katatonia.






CREEM-CREEM 12"

*cues joke from Family Guy related to this band's name* Unusual feeling about their name aside, this was some damn good 80s-style hardcore punk from New York. This is what I wish Ceremony had evolved into.






Torch Runner-Committed To The Ground

North Carolina, you're doing me proud these days. The hardcore/grindcore band keeps evolving and playing shorter, faster songs, while turning the angry factor to eleven. In all honesty, I don't have too much more to say here, seeing as how this goes by in a flash, but what a flash it is.






Fiona Apple-The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

I've always liked this gal, even if recalling her album names post-Tidal have made me want to claw my face off. Smooth, sultry, sad, and even funny at times, this was easily my favorite non-loud music discovery I heard all year (outside of the PHENOMENAL Chelsea Wolfe).





Power Trip-S/T 7"

Time to entice the haters: I think hardcore is pretty boring right now. I feel the genre is too riddled with cliched acts, singing about the same subjects and catering towards the "cool" side of things, which is the complete antithesis of what hardcore is about. Mercifully, before signing to Southern Lord, these Texans released a banger of a 7" this year, chocked full of speed and groove. Comparisons to the now-defunct Iron Age are inevitable, but I can only hope these guys last a little longer and continue to impress.





The Rival Mob-Mob Justice

C'mon, the intro alone is worth a spot alone on an end of the year list, and the band themselves will admit (and have) that this is purely for the intention of moshing really, REALLY hard. Oh, and as for the rest of the release? It's rather good.






Enabler-All Hail the Void

I suppose the reason this didn't quite make the top 20 was due to this being an example of "good record, better live." Not to dismiss the band or anything, because this is still very enjoyable. Ex-members of Today is the Day and Fall Out Boy (really!) make a very good metallic hardcore album that often crushes, but is better experienced in a live setting. This was especially apparent when (in my opinion) they stole the show during this summer's Southern Lord tour.







Now, we shall march forward onto the actual list. Well, at least the first half.

Speaking of march...







20. Coffins-March of Despair

The guitars are evil, the drums are primitively simple, and the vocals sound like a demon is getting ready to vomit onto your very soul. Naturally, I loved it. I can never keep track of who is doing what in the lineup of Japan's kings of death/doom, but as long as they keep churning out awesome releases like this one, I don't care who performs what.





19. Action Bronson-Blue Chips/Rare Chandeliers.

Technically these are two different albums, but given how busy the New York rapper is, I don't see the problem with putting both of these in the same spot. I've been so down on newer hip-hop and rap, but something about this guy just works. Perhaps its the subject matter (food, weed, money, women, wrestling, etc.) or perhaps its his uncanny vocal resemblance to Ghostface Killah. With the latter album, the insanely cool beats conjured up by The Alchemist only up the enjoyment factor. Did I mention that both of these were put up for free online? So go ahead and give these (and his excellent full-length Dr. Lecter) a go. I sense that this guy is going to explode in popularity, and I couldn't be happier if that comes to be.






18. Torche-Harmonicraft

Ahh Torche, you never disappoint. Hell, even your weakest efforts still have something worth revisiting. Personally, I've always preferred Torche a bit more than Floor (here comes the shitstorm now...I just realize I made that joke too. Oy), and maybe it was because I've always been attracted to a good melody more than anything. I find it impossible to be in a bad mood when listening to a Torche album, and nobody else does sludge-pop better than Steve Brooks & company. Can we also talk about how awesome the video to "Kicking" was too? Because it totally is.




17. Pallbearer-Sorrow and Extinction

I love Profound Lore, but it took me almost a full year to FINALLY listen to this in its entirety, and while I don't think the hype is 100% justified, I think the attention is still very well deserved. Epic, traditional doom metal with melodic (almost soaring) vocals that can tug at your very heartstrings. Perhaps my only complaint is that there are only five songs on this impressive debut, but I predict this band will have a rather big year and churn out something that even surpasses this titan of a record.






16. Panopticon-Kentucky

I'm incredibly strict about what black metal (if any at all) I like anymore, and I'm even harder to please when it comes to one man black metal bands from the states. I'm always open to hearing new things though, and this melding of black metal and bluegrass songs (blackgrass?), along with unusual additions to the genre (recorder and banjo) worked better than I could have ever expected it to. A concept record about the horrors of coal mining and forest destruction in his native state, this was one of the most emotional albums I've heard from the genre, and will leave you truly concerned for the well being of the artist and his home land.




15. Baroness-Yellow & Green

One of the more controversial albums released this year (well, at least down in Wilmington, where folks seem to be split), Baroness' double album upped the melody even more than usual, and toned down quite a large bit of the aggression heard on their previous full-lengths. Did it make for a good listen? Well, in my eyes, it absolutely did. True, the lyrics are weaker than normal ("Little Things" could be phenomenal if you ignore them), and there are some filler songs here and there, but the fact the GA natives were able to make a double album that didn't completely stink is enough to warrant some respect. This is one that I think those with more time to kill and more open minds will appreciate.




14. Deftones-Koi No Yokan

Yeah, I like the Deftones. Fight me. They're one of the few bands that I'm still a fan of after going through all of my music "phases." Oddly enough, it might be due to that fact that this band has been willing to grow and change themselves, and barely resemble the primitive nu-metal act heard on Adrenaline (though you could argue about the band ever even belonging in that genre). Mixing influences from post-rock, post-hardcore, and European acts like Meshuggah, this band has never sounded more like themselves and less like a Korn clone. Admittedly, 2010's Diamond Eyes is still a better album, but the atmosphere dripping from tracks like "Leathers" and "Rosemary" help secure this a spot in the top 20.




13. Neurosis-Honor Found in Decay

I'll probably get crucified for this not being higher, but it didn't mean it was a bad record whatsoever. Hell, Neurosis isn't capable of making a completely bad album. The use of hammond organ on this will leave you salivating, making you wish that the California post-metal giants had used it more, while they also prove to be one of the few bands in the world who can still pull off using bagpipes in metal without sounding cheesy. Scott Kelly's and Steve Von Till's vocals are still amazing and instantly recognizable, and "At the Well" could compete with the best material from Through Silver in Blood.




12. Black Breath-Sentenced To Life

What a rager. I was impressed by these cats' debut EP years ago, but never did I imagine they could churn out something so nasty-sounding. The Stockholm sound has been alive and well in America over the past few years, and you can largely attribute that to these Washingtonians (along with Nails, All Pigs Muse Die, and the surprisingly inactive Trap Them). Combining the best of Swedish death metal with a very strong hardcore punk vibe, it might be impossible to not bang your head to at least two of the tracks on this one.




11. Burning Love-Rotten Thing To Say

I'll probably get an endless amount of hate for this, but I was not a fan of Burning Love's "Songs for Burning Lovers." Perhaps I was still mourning the loss of Cursed, but something just didn't click with me. Whatever was lacking on that album is gone though, as this one was a bonafide, amped up release. Chris Colohan's vocals are expectedly strong, the riffs more memorable (and more based in rock & roll than hardcore), and the lyrics are fittingly biting. Bravo guys, looking forward to future releases again now.





And that does it for Part 1. Tune in for part 2 in a few hours.

No comments: